Through demonstrations, studio practice, and one-on-one tutoring, students will investigate the natural, urban, and hybridized landscape within approaches of contemporary painting. With these themes in mind, students will create a body of work communicating their individual and/or collective perception, while inspecting the shift of the western landscape through painting and what has been lost through human corruption of natural space. Formal issues will include the use of color, paint handling, value, and composition. Slide lectures, readings, class discussions, and critiques will enhance studio work time. Individual portfolio progress will be emphasized.
Lauren is MarinMOCA’S Artist in Residence, 2022. Visit her website at: laurenjadeszabo.com
Where: Marin Museum of Contemporary Art, 781 Hamilton Parkway, Novato (building behind Beso Café )
Fees: Members $275; Non-members $315
Materials List (for those who need it):
Acrylic or oil paint (see below for specific colors)
Brushes - of varying shapes and sizes
Gamsol or Turpenoid (oil paints only - NO TURPENTINE!!)
Closed container for solvents (oil paints only)/Water container (acrylic only)
Medium(s) / Additives:
Acrylic glazing medium or fluid medium by Liquitex or Golden, preferably satin.
For oils please get linseed oil OR, you are welcome to try out any of these following
faster drying mediums:
- Galkyd (synthetic, fast drying, glossy, consistency of honey, low odor)
- Galkyd Light (synthetic, thinner than Galkyd, faster drying, less sticky, low odor) - Liquin (synthetic, fast drying, satiny finish, gel-like, low odor)
• Spray bottle (acrylics only)
• Palette knife (metal)
• Palette: paper palette, metal palette (for oils) or “Sta-Wet” palette
• Canvases in various sizes (see each project for sizes - it’s best to buy or make canvases closer to the project rather than buying all at once). No paper or canvas boards please.
• Water container (acrylics only)
• “The Masters” brush cleaner and preserver (optional)
• 3-inch sponge brush (optional - acrylics only)
• Painters tape
• Supply box
Suggested paint colors (colors with an * are the necessary minimum): Reds
Cadmium Red Medium*
Optional: Quinacridone Magenta and Cadmium Red Light
• Cadmium Yellow Light or Lemon Yellow • Cadmium Yellow Medium*
Optional: Yellow Ochre
Pthalo Blue (Red Shade)
Greens (all are pretty much optional since you can make a green...) • Pthalo Green (Red Shade) or similar cool green
• Pthalo Green (Yellow Shade) or similar warm green Optional: Olive Green, Jenkins Green, Hookers Green, Green Gold
• Burnt Umber*
• Burnt Sienna Optional: Van Dyke Brown
Optional: Zinc White, Dioxazine Purple, Cadmium Orange or similar orange
If you would like to register for Contemporary Landscape Painting please complete the form below.
Enrolling online is quick and easy:
Cancellation Policy: Fees are due at time of registration. You may cancel up to one (1) week prior to start of class/workshop and the fee, less $25 for processing, will be refunded to you. Should MarinMOCA cancel a class/workshop, you will receive a full refund.
Should you cancel less than one (1) week prior to a class or workshop begins, you will not receive a refund of any portion of your registration fee. There are no refunds for individual classes that are missed within a monthly series.